Ribbons/symbols

A place to share thoughts, feelings, concerns, accomplishments, and tips for getting through those special days.

Moderator: Moderators Team

Ribbons/symbols

Postby aprilzosia » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:38 pm

I have been having a lot of difficulty with the various symbols available for Survivors of Suicide (a term for people who survive those lost to suicide). Here's what I have found after some searching:

[*]suicide awareness: purple ribbon; red ribbon
[*]suicide prevention: turquoise ribbon
[*]survivors of suicide: yellow ribbon with a heart on it
[*]suicide: yellow ribbon

Most of these colors are shared. Yellow, of course, with supporting the troops. Red with HIV/AIDS. Purpose and Turquoise are also colors associated with domestic violence and child banned. So, the ribbon colors aren't that clear.

What I am looking for are ideas. A good friend suggested Survivors use a piece of fabric from their loved one's clothing, or some fabric they would like, and write their name on it.

The idea is to create a symbol that can start a conversation--a symbol that Survivors of Suicide can wear to show they are not ashamed of suicide. Something to show that people want to/are willing to talk about suicide. Something to make our losses less taboo. Something to show the people we come in contact with that we have a loss that we are willing to share and talk about. Something to celebrate our struggle to survive when our loved ones could not.

What ideas do you have for colors/symbols to represent Survivors of Suicide?
aprilzosia

Re: Ribbons/symbols

Postby Takecare4 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:00 pm

I remember some of us here had this discussion quite a long time ago, maybe we can find those older posts to see if a good suggestion ever came up! :)

It's a great idea and so very important! Like you mentioned, it would be fantastic if we could come up with something more unique, a color that wasn't recognized yet. Could there be a way that we could incorporate 2 ribbons? Maybe one with the color symbolizing 'survival' and the other for the loss of our loved one to suicide? They could be intertwined.

Hmm, I'll think on this some more.
Forum Moderator

Evan, my son, in my heart always...
Takecare4
Moderators Team

Postby echo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:46 am

I just saw that a butterfly is the symbol for a suicide survivor. It is pretty easy to make with two strips of ribbon of fabric and then beads or anything you want for the body and antennae. Pipe cleaners bend well and are inexpensive and easy to use-even to string beads on. The body could really be made out of anything like a barrette, for example. I read that yellow is also the color of suicide prevention, but that does not mean we can't do our own thing. There were also colors associated with the relationship to the person lost-white is for the loss of a child. That is what I read, anyway, but this can be personalized.

Maybe we could do something with birthstones as the bodies of the butterflies and pieces of clothing, as was suggested, for the wings. You can get inexpensive pins to pin them to your clothing or figure out ways to pin them to your purse, tie or lots of other possibilities.

LOVE the thought no matter what the finished product looks like.

Just some ideas..
echo
echo

Postby MissingHim » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:32 pm

Beautiful ideas. I have a couple of buttons, each with a photo of my husband. I wear those sometimes, especially when I am going to a survivor event or training.
Missinghim
MissingHim
Moderators Team

Postby Takecare4 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:21 pm

Those are great ideas Echo, I love the butterfly idea. Any one that decides to make one, please post photos, it would be cool to see the finished project.

Jan the photo button is nice for 'events', memorials, etc.
Forum Moderator

Takecare4
Moderators Team

Postby MissingHim » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:50 am

Well, I couldn't resist playing around with the butterfly idea. This could be done in natural colors or a loved one's favorite colors.

The little angel in the other photo was part of a lot of jewelry I bought on Ebay. It is quite appropriate, too. I don't know how old it is or the maker, but it is vintage.

Anyone else try this?
Missinghim
MissingHim
Moderators Team

Postby echo » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:13 am

MissingHim, I received some bead angels as a gift around the holidays, but they are slightly different from the one you show. LOVE the butterflies. So many possibilities. Thank you for sharing them.

echo
echo

Postby Takecare4 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:08 pm

Nice thanks for sharing Jan! Wow that was quick, I knew someone would take the challenge.
Forum Moderator

Takecare4
Moderators Team

Postby mbeth » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:17 pm

I just found "suicide survivor jewelry" on amazon.com I ordered a necklace that reads "I wear this ribbon for my Daughter. Suicide Awareness" I haven't yet received it, but will report on the quality. They had many choices, such as earrings, tie tacks, bracelets, etc... and prices were quite reasonable.
mbeth

Postby Ronnie Walker » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:40 pm

I have always thought that the Alliance of Hope logo is a wonderful symbol. It portrays one lily helping another lily up ... against the backdrop of the world. That is so much of what happens here. Together we survive.

The Alliance of Hope is committed that no survivor, anywhere on the planet ... go without support.

Last year, a survivor who was a jeweler, noticed our logo and made a gold necklace for me out of the logo. It's beautiful.

Ronnie Susan Walker, MS, LCPC
Founder & Executive Director: Alliance of Hope for Suicide Survivors
Visit our website: http://allianceofhope.org
Specialized counselling for new survivors: http://www.allianceofhope.org/alliance-of-hope-for-suic/counseling-coaching-and-consultations.html
Ronnie Walker
Moderators Team

Postby LilyoftheValley » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:43 am

Ronnie,

If this jeweler can make more, perhaps these necklaces could be sold as a fundraiser for this site. I like lilies!

LilyoftheValley
Dorothy Paugh
Forum Moderator
Editor http://www.allianceofhope.org/blog_/

"Come and stand beside us, we can find a better way."--John Denver, Rhymes and Reasons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPpRyjTP0a0
LilyoftheValley

Postby Ronnie Walker » Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:40 am

I like lilies!

8) :P :wink:
Ronnie Susan Walker, MS, LCPC
Founder & Executive Director: Alliance of Hope for Suicide Survivors
Visit our website: http://allianceofhope.org
Specialized counselling for new survivors: http://www.allianceofhope.org/alliance-of-hope-for-suic/counseling-coaching-and-consultations.html
Ronnie Walker
Moderators Team

Postby IansMom » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:42 am

What a great idea for the necklace, LoV! I like lilies too :)
IansMom

Postby tearsinthemorning » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:33 pm

Lilies are perennials.....I like it
tearsinthemorning

Return to Holidays, Anniversaries & Special Occasions